Whether you are just looking for a new sport for children, adults or the whole family, come down to Whitsunday Sailing Club and have a go at dinghy sailing. We have a program for all ages, beginning with Tackers 1, 2 and 3 for children 7 – 12, or Start Sailing 1 & 2 for adults and teenagers.
Here you will learn the fundamental skills of small boat sailing in a safe and supportive environment. We aim to make every course as informative and fun as possible, we love what we do and we are sure you will too.
Tackers (7 – 12)
Tackers is an introductory, fun, game-based sailing program designed for kids aged 7 to 12, delivered at recognised Australian Sailing Clubs throughout Australia. Kids don’t need to have any sailing experience. All equipment, including the boats, is provided.
There are 3 steps to the Tackers program;
- Tackers 1 – Having Fun – Kids sail in pairs in small boats. It’s a great way to meet new friends and kids have the chance to sail with others in their group.
- Tackers 2 – Tricks & Techniques – If kids are confident, they can sail a boat on their own with lots of support, supervision and encouragement from the Instructor and Assistant Instructors.
- Tackers 3 – Sailing Fast – This is a chance for the kids to sail boats on their own, learning how to make the boat go faster and playing more games, all whilst still under the guidance and supervision of the Instructor and Assistant Instructors.
Each level involves around 20 hours of participation. The first step- Tackers 1 is conducted on Sunday Mornings over approximately 7 weeks during the school terms, or over 4 days as a school holiday program. Children are then able to complete Tackers 2 & 3 on Sunday mornings during school terms
Adults and Teenagers:
Whitsunday Sailing Club runs a combined program; Start Sailing 1 covers the basics and Start Sailing 2 aims to equip participants with the skills to sail independently in calm to moderate conditions.
There are 3 steps to the adult course:
Start Sailing 1 – Using club owned boats, you learn the fundamental skills of sailing and are introduced to the fun of dinghy sailing in a safe and supportive environment
Start Sailing 2 – Here is your opportunity to master all of the fundamental dinghy sailing skills. By now, you will now be equipped to sail your dinghy on your own voyages of discovery
Better Sailing – Building in confidence, you will now be able to handle stronger winds as you develop the skills required to get maximum speed from your dinghy. Your journey speeds up as you experience the thrill of trapezing and using a spinnaker
Some Things That You Will Learn In This Course:
- Basic clothing and equipment requirements
- Sailing terminology
- How to Launch and recover a boat
- How to recover from a capsize
- How to Rig a boat
- Sailing a triangular course
- Basic sailing Rules and Theory
The next Tackers 1 & 2 and Start Sailing 1 & 2 courses for 2023 at Whitsunday Sailing Club will run on Sunday mornings over 8 weeks, from 23 April to 25 June (except 14 May).
Each step includes;
- Approximately 24hrs tuition with experienced and nationally qualified Australian Sailing instructors
- Australian Sailing logbook
- Boat and PFD provided
- AS Tacker Pack (Value $40.00) – Tackers 1 & 2 only
- Complimentary Sailing membership while enroled in a course (up to $150 Value)
Registering for a course is easy simply click or tap the button below.
Start Racing: OFF the BEACH Racing on Sunday Afternoons
Having mastered sailing upwind in a dinghy, and able to right the boat after a capsize (capsize is a normal part of sailing in dinghies), it is time to join the Whitsunday Sailing Club Off the Beach dinghy racing. Typically 3 races are conducted each afternoon, with racing taking place close to shore right in front of the club. Racing is a great fun way to demonstrate your sailing skills, build confidence and to learn from others. All races have adequate safety boats patrolling the course to help out if required.
You can start by renting a club boat, however it will soon be time to step into your own boat.